He received his undergraduate degree from Duke University in 1959. After graduation he served on active duty with the United States Navy from 1959 until June 1965, he retired as a Lieutenant Commander and graduated from Brooklyn Law School in 1965.
Carl is admitted to Practice Law in The State of New York, Federal District Courts for Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York, Federal Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. He has been the Town Justice for the Town of Wappinger since 1983 and an Acting Village Justice in the Village of Fishkill since 2000. Carl has also been an Acting City Judge for the City of Poughkeepsie in conflict cases and has served as an Instructor for Judicial Training since 1983. Carl is a former Assistant District Attorney for Kings and Dutchess Counties in New York and a former Instructor of Criminal Law and Procedure at Dutchess Community College. He was a Member of District Attorney William Grady’s Committee for the Implementation of Interlock Devices for Convicted Drunk Drivers and the Author of the First Published Decision in New York State Upholding the use of Road Blocks for Apprehension of Drunk Drivers. Carl is a member of the Board of Directors of Pathway Community Support Services, Inc. a not for profit community support corporation and a Director Emeritus of Riverside Bank.
He has been practicing law in Poughkeepsie, New York since 1970 and specializes in the fields of Estate Planning, Probate and Administration, Trusts, Real Estate, Business Development and Criminal Law.
Carl S. Wolfson resides in Wappingers Falls, New York with his wife, Ronnie. He has two sons, Ira and Aaron and five grandchildren, Phillipa, Georginia, Drew, Charlotte, and Emma. With the exception of his schooling and military service, he has lived in New York State his entire life.
Areas of Practice
- Estate Planning, Probate & Administration
- Criminal Law
- Business Organization and Development, Litigation and Commercial Transactions
- Corporations & LLC’s
- Wills/Estates & Trusts
- Real Estate – Residential and Commercial Transactions
- Business and Corporate Law
- Criminal Law
- New York 1966
- Federal District Courts for Southern, Eastern and North Districts of New York
- Federal Court of Appeal for the 2nd Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, New York
LLB Degree 1965
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina
- LCDR U.S. Naval Reserve Retired
- Author of First Published Decision in New York State Upholding the Use of Road Blocks for Apprehension of Drunk Drivers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutchess County Bar Association 1970 to present time
- New York State Magistrates Association 1983 to present time
- Dutchess County Magistrates Association 1983 to present time
- New York State Bar Association 1970 to present time
- Member of District Attorney William Grady’s Committee for the Implementation of Interlock Devices for Convicted Drunk Drivers (Implementation of Leandra’s Law)
- Director of Pathway Community Support Services, Inc.
- Director Emeritus – Riverside Bank
Past Employment Positions
- Assistant District Attorney Kings County 1968-1970 – Appeals Bureau
- Assistant District Attorney Dutchess County 1970-1972
- Town Justice, Town of Wappinger 1983 to date
- Acting Village Judge, Town of Fishkill 2000 to date
- Appointed by Administrative Judge Ninth Judicial District as Acting Judge in Conflict Cases for City of Poughkeepsie, Town of Poughkeepsie and Town of Fishkill
- Hearing Officer for City of Poughkeepsie and City of Beacon 2000 to date
- Instructor for the New York State Training Program for Town and Village Justices for over 12 years
- Former Instructor of Criminal Law and Procedure, Dutchess Community College
- Practice of Law with various Law Firms in Dutchess County, New York – to date