Joseph E. O’Connor has been practicing law for over twenty years and is currently a managing partner of the firm. Joe is a lifelong resident of the Hudson Valley and relies on his connections to the community to best serve his clients. He graduated from Brown University in 1993 and played both division one football and golf for the Brown Bears. He graduated from St. John’s University, School of Law in 1996. Over the next twenty years, Mr. O’Connor has prosecuted many of the highest profile cases in the Hudson Valley and has obtained numerous multi-million dollar and million-dollar verdicts and settlements on behalf of injured victims. Mr. O’Connor dedicates a majority of his time in the representation of seriously and catastrophically injured individuals injured by construction, motor vehicle, motorcycle, and bicycle accidents, as well as defective products. For Mr. O’Connor the practice of personal injury law it is not just a job but his passion.
Joseph is admitted to practice law in the State of New York, U.S. District Court Northern District of New York, U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York and U.S. District Court Northern New Jersey.
Joseph is a regular contributor to the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America’s LogBook. He has published multiple articles on commercial vehicle litigation including busing and tractor-trailer involved accidents. Mr. O’Connor has also lectured at various Trial Lawyer Association events concerning complex litigation issues and frequently address both motorcycle/bicycle/pedestrian associations to discuss to safety, and litigation related advice. Mr. O’Connor is continuously named as one of the top 25 lawyers in the Hudson Valley and Upstate New York by Super Lawyers ® 2015 through 2018, carries a Martindale-Hubbell A.V. Preeminent rating as well as a perfect 10 rating with AVVO. Many of Mr. O’Connor cases have been featured on television on the Today Show and Anderson 360. The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and the New York Journal have all featured cases he has litigated.
Lastly, he is a member of Capital Region New York State Trial Lawyers Association, The American Association of Justice, New York State Bar Association, The New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, The American Bar Association, Orange County Bar Association, Dutchess County Bar Association, and the Ulster County Bar Association. Joseph is a lecturer for the National Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. O’Connor’s recent settlements and verdicts are listed below.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Construction Accidents
- Labor Law
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Verdicts & Settlements:
- Grant v. SEIU – $7 million settlement for brain injured infant.
- Bell v. Skinner – $3.25 million settlement for injured motorcyclist.
- Hadden v. Boxburger – $3.25 million settlement for injured construction worker.
- Wachtel v. Jones – $2.6 million settlement for a police officer injured during the course of their employment.
- Beaton v. Gasland – $2 million verdict for motorist injured when struck by a commercial tractor-trailer.
- Servo v. De Gregoria – $1.5 million settlement for injured motorcyclist.
- New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Northern New Jersey
- St John’s University School of Law, Jamaica, New York
J.D. – 1997
- Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
B.A. – 1992
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Murtagh v Beachy, 6 A.D. 3d 786, 2004
- Coole-Mahew v Timm, 18 A.D. 3d 948, 2005
- Grant v. Nembhard, 94 A.D. 3d 1397
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member, 1998-Present
- American Association of Justice, Member, 2006-Present
- New York Bar Association, Member, 1997-Present
- American Association of Justice
- New York State Trial Lawyers, Member, 1999-2009
- Ulster County Bar Association, Member
- Ulster County Defense Bar, Member, 1999 – Present
- New York State Judicial Screening Committees, Member
- Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, Member
Past Employment Positions
- National Football League, Law Clerk, 1995-1997
- Curran, Gruner & O’Connor, Attorney, 1997-1997
- Law Office of Joseph E. O’Connor, Attorney, 1998-2000
- Mainetti, Mainetti & O’Connor, P.C., Attorney, 2000-2018
Prior Volunteer Work
- Make a Wish of the Hudson Valley.
- Board of Directors – Bardavon Theater.
- Board of Directors – Ulster Performing Arts Center.