Thomas C. Yatto is an experienced and skilled litigator who focuses primarily on personal injury cases, Mr. Yatto has represented numerous clients throughout several New York counties, New Jersey and Connecticut who were negligently injured due to car crashes, trucking accidents, construction accidents, workplace accidents, and defective products.
A knowledgeable attorney who has distinguished himself by servicing his clients with commitment, preparation, and a high level of ethical standards, Mr. Yatto has an extensive record of success. He recently settled a construction case where a trench collapsed causing shoulder injuries to a laborer for $1.95 million. Within the past few years he obtained jury verdicts in the Hudson Valley of $1.6 million and $1.426 million where no offers to settle were originally made. The $1.6 million verdict was the highest jury award ever for a dog bite case in Orange County. Mr. Yatto also obtained a $5.492 million settlement for a 67-year-old Connecticut man who was left paraplegic after a rear-end collision. He earned a $3.8 million jury award for a 35-year-old man who was a victim of a construction accident that left him blind, deaf in one ear and with multiple broken bones that required several surgeries. Other successes include a $3.75 million settlement on behalf of a burn victim; a $3.46 million arbitration award in a wrongful death suit on behalf of the family of a woman killed in a garbage truck accident; and a $500,000 jury award for a two-year-old boy who suffered burns in scalding hot bathwater.
Mr. Yatto obtained his Juris Doctor from the Albany Law School. Prior to attending law school, he earned his undergraduate degree from Manhattan College where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He is admitted to practice law in New York state courts and before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York. Mr. Yatto is a member of The New York State Bar Association and The New York State Trial Lawyers Association. He has been presented with numerous awards such as Super Lawyer, Distinguished Rating by Martindale-Hubbell, 10 Best Attorneys NY – Exceptional/Outstanding Client Service, Top 100 High Stakes Litigators – Upstate NY, and Top Attorneys in the Hudson Valley Area.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- New York, 1977
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- Manhattan College, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa
- Albany Law School of Union College, J.D.
- 5.492M Settlement- 67 yr old Fairfield County man rendered a paraplegic after a rear end car collision.
- 3.8M Jury Award (modified by trial court to 6.9M)- 35 yr old Ulster County man injured in a construction accident fall rendering him blind, deaf in one ear, two cervical fractures and a fracture femur, requiring multiple surgical procedures.
- 3.75M Settlement- 17 yr old Westchester woman who sustained second and third degree burns covering her right upper extremity as well as pelvic fracture, requiring surgery.
- 3.46M Arbitration Award- to the family of a 43 yr old Orange County woman who died of asphyxiation, secondary to minor orthopedic injuries sustained when a garbage truck fell upon her vehicle.
- 1.993M Settlement- family of a 38 yr old Newburgh, NY man who died as a result of head injuries sustained when the decedent was struck by a tractor trailer, when attending to his own disabled vehicle on the side of the road. As a result of multiple injuries, the decedent died four days after the accident.
- 2M Settlement- 23 yr old Ulster County woman as a result of orthopedic injuries resulting in paraplegia when she was 6 yrs old. The office reconstructed the facts and events concerning the automobile accident which had occurred 15 years before so as to establish liability against a motor vehicle manufacturer resulting in the settlement.
- 1.02M Arbitration Award- 44 yr old Dutchess County woman who while operating a motor vehicle was struck in the rear resulting in an ankle fracture, soft tissue injury to the knee, as well as residual neck and back pain.
- 2M Settlement before Trial- 25 yr old Orange County woman settled a medical malpractice claim. Her injuries sustained secondary to the infiltration of a vein on injection of medication resulting in partial amputation of four fingers.
- 681K Verdict- 35 yr old Livingston County woman for injuries sustained during the course of her employment, while operating a press machine which caused amputation of the middle finger on her dominant hand. A product liability claim against the manufacturer of the machine was successfully made.
- 500K Verdict- 2 ½ yr old Orange County boy was awarded monies by an Orange County jury for second and third degree burns sustained on his legs and groin when he was negligently immersed in a hot bath. Burns to the legs necessitated skin grafting procedures.
- 1M Settlement- 38 yr old Orange County man as a result of a work related motor vehicle accident in which he was caused to sustain multiple injuries necessitating low back, shoulder and knee surgeries.
- 1.425M Settlement- 29 yr old Bronx woman reached with the City of New York for multiple injuries sustained when a New York City Police officer collided with a vehicle in which she was a passenger. Client sustained a fractured jaw and later developed traumatically induced epilepsy which was established to have resulted secondary to the facial trauma.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association