Premises liability is a legal concept that holds property owners and managers responsible for injuries that occur on their premises due to negligence. This means that if you are injured in a slip, trip, fall, or other accident on someone else’s property, you may be able to hold them liable for your damages.
Types of Premises Liability Claims
There are many different types of premises liability claims, but some of the most common include:
- Slips and falls: These accidents are often caused by wet, slippery surfaces, uneven floors, or objects that have been left in walkways.
- Falls from heights: These accidents can occur from ladders, stairs, or other elevated surfaces.
- Dog bites: Dog owners are responsible for their pets’ actions, and you may be able to file a premises liability claim if you are bitten by a dog on someone else’s property.
- Assaults and batteries: These accidents can occur in any type of setting, including businesses, apartments, and public spaces.
How to Protect Yourself
There are a few things you can do to protect yourself from premises liability accidents:
- Be aware of your surroundings: Pay attention to the condition of the ground you are walking on, and watch out for obstacles or hazards.
- Report any hazards to the property owner: If you see a hazard, such as a wet floor or a broken step, let the owner or manager know as soon as possible.
- Seek medical attention if you are injured: Even if you don’t think your injuries are serious, it is important to see a doctor to get checked out. This will document your injuries and make it easier to prove your case if you decide to file a claim.
Contact a Premises Liability Lawyer in Poughkeepsie, NY
If you have been injured in a premises liability accident, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you understand your legal rights and options, and they can represent you in negotiations with the insurance company.
Why Choose O’Connor & Partners
O’Connor & Partners is a law firm with over 30 years of experience in handling personal injury cases. We are committed to helping our clients get the compensation they deserve, and we have a proven track record of success.
If you have been injured in a premises liability accident in Poughkeepsie, NY, the skilled legal team at O’Connor & Partners can help you get the compensation you deserve. We offer free consultations and will work tirelessly to fight for your rights. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Call us today at (845) 454-8700 or contact us online at https://www.oconnorpersonalinjury.com/contact-us/ to learn more.